An anonymous donation arrived late yesterday to the local Salvation Army – hotel rooms for some 70 homeless people for the rest of the week. A large camp had been set up on Roosevelt Road near the Dan Ryan Expressway, but with temperatures dropping the people there were starting to get desperate. Many had used what little they had to purchase propane heaters and tanks in an effort to stay alive in the bitter cold. Unfortunately one of the tanks exploded, and the fire department was called.
Citing the danger of so many gas cylinders in the same place, the CFD confiscated all of the propane tanks and left the 70 people there quite literally out in the cold. That is, until Salvation Army spokeswoman Jacqueline Rachev received a call about the donation.
“Isn’t that wonderful? At least they’re warm and they’re safe,’’ she told the Chicago Tribune. At a time when the city of Chicago is experiencing the worst winter weather in years, seventy of its most vulnerable citizens will be able to have a roof over their heads and a hot shower for the remainder of the week.
Rachev was not sure of the identity of the good Samaritan.